Sunday, June 8, 2008

I want an SUV?!

I've been happy with my ULEV (ultra low emissions vehicle) for the past 4 years. The civic has been very good to me; it's cheap, reliable, low on gas, and spacious for me. However, I feel like at this time in my life I need an upgrade. I don't like when Bonna has to squeeze into it. I don't like going home to jersey and not being able to take my family out all at one time. I don't like having to borrow someone else's truck when we need to go to Ikea or when Bonna has a gig. Lastly, I hate feeling like the world is advancing around me. You ever see someone with a old assed cell phone?! And you be like, damn that's a old assed phone, get a grown up phone like a blackberry. I need the blackberry equivalent to a car, and that car is the Lexus RX 330.

I know, I know, I can upgrade the civic with an Accord or some other car that is not a gas guzzler, and really be about protecting the environment, but that's the rub. How do I not sacrifice luxury (which I fee like I deserve, and I know this is very obnoxious) but at the same time not increase my harm to the earth. This would be easily solved if I got a hybrid. However hybrids are made for people who live in the city and helps them to save gas in stop and go traffic.

So what do I do? I think a lot of us run into this problem. You want to be good to the earth, but we have such bad habits (like feeling entitled) that we just can't seem to get over. Maybe I'll consider the hybrid.

Brown Tip:
Recycle Damn It!!!

Recycling cuts down on our use of natural and non-renewable resources and energy consumption.

Recycling is required in DC but not in Maryland. The recycle forms for PG and Montgomery County, MD only take a moment to fill out.

5 comments:

rashad said...

Damn recycling isn't required in Montgomery County? I remember when I was younger, my father had me put out the little blue recycling bin every week, and I just knew it was required.

Chocolate Glaze said...

I totally feel this brown thumb insight. Sometimes helping the environment is very restricting. I've come to terms with the fact that I can't save the world. But I'll help it out every now and then. I no longer get plastic or paper bags at the grocery store. I bought a couple of those canvas totes which are more sturdy
and versatile. As far as the SUV goes, try out the hybrid. It can't hurt, right?

-DyLanne

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a blog! Us brown folk haven't quite got on the green bandwagon (I actually mentioned this in the last post on my own blog) I've been trying to embrace the whole reduce reuse recycle concept but I like to shop and I think I deserve new stuff (so reducing is out). To offset this I recycle and try to remember to use my reusable shopping bags when I go to the store and today I rode the bus to work! So I think I've earned a new pair of shoes for myself.

joeb! said...

look at that highlander hybrid... you can get it trimmed out nicely... leather, navi, smartkey, etc...

Sham said...

Great blog...I'm environmental engineer so why didn't I think of this!

Anyway, in the context of oil...I wonder if this off shore drilling concept is safe for the environment? Even if it is safe, I think we need to think of alternatives to reduce or eliminate our dependence on oil b/c there is not an indefinite supply of it.