Sunday, August 3, 2008

Over The Water

A couple months back my toilet started to run. Now I'm no plumber but I knew it probably needed a new ball or chain for the inside of the tank. So I did what any good wife would do and ask my husband to fix it.

After a couple of Heathcliff Huxtable fixes, the hubby and I went to home depot and got a new flapper part for the tank. We thought this would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't and the toilet continued to run. About a month after the initial discovery we got our water bill............

Our bill was about $185, a whole $130 more than usual. Needless to say we needed to did a little more research. We found out the ball and lever both needed to be replaced and we did that expeditiously. We just got a newest bill and we are back down to $50!!!

Brown Tip:
Get Out Your Tool Belt!

We all waste water but when it starts touching our pockets, then it's a big problem. I'd encourage all of you to take a look at your toilets, kinda leaky faucets, and drippy pipes and fix them! More than likely its a really easy and quick fix that can save you some money. Most of all though, since we are brown thumbs and this is really about the environment, it can save some couple hundred gallons of water.

4 comments:

rashad said...

I would have sho nuff found a way to get out of paying that bill

Tamara said...

The same thing happened to me a few months back! I was like what the heezy! lol My solution of course is I just don't use that bathroom and cut the water off to it. Hmmm, maybe I should fix it huh? lol One day...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kawanna. Oh my God. My name is Latisha Barrett we went to 22 School together. I haven't seen you in such a long time. It is so positive to see you have gotten married and fighting for the environment. I am also trying to perserve the environment. Let's face it apart from an inheritance this is what we will leave behind for our kids.....You look great....God bless you and your family. Do you have any kids yet?

Kawana Cohen-Hopkins said...

Thanks for the comment Latisha. Send me an email at kawanac@gmail.com. The post didn't list your contact information.