Wednesday, May 13, 2009

(Plastic) Baggage


Two weeks ago I took a trip with the Commission (the Prince George's County Solid Waste Commission that is) to the county landfill and composting facility. The purpose of the trip was to give the Commission a better idea of how the county manages it's solids waste. Both facilities were pretty cool and the tours were very informative, but there was something(s) that just kept bothering me. THESE DAMN PLASTIC BAGS!!!! (in the mommy dearest wire hangers voice)

There were plastic bags everywhere! I can't say I was surprised to see them there but I was surprised to find out how much they cost the county. At the composting facility, the managers had to buy a special plastic bag shredder (about $500K worth of equipment) and use workers to collect the bags. At the landfill, the managers have a difficult time keeping the bags on the landfill because they are so lite they can just fly away, so they too have to take extra time (and money) to collect the bags around the landfill.

I understand some people think that outright banning plastic bags and making people pay for reusable bags is not the answer. But I would ask those people this: do you want to pay for the bag now in the store or pay for it later in taxes? You decide.

BROWN TIP
"I brought my own bags, thank you!"

Reusable bags are so cheap now, most companies give them away for free. Keep them in your car, at your desk, or even in your purse. Just use them! They really do make all the environmental and economic difference.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

mad @ the mommy dearest voice!
I think banning plastic bags are an option...folks still have paper for free yes this does kill trees but they could use recycled paper maybe? I always though plastic bags were an eyesore anyway. Target Wal-Mart & other non grocery stores would have to get on board to make a difference though.

DJ Bonna B said...

But how are we to get over the convieniece factor of the plastic bags? Should we ask for paper bags instead?

Unknown said...

I really try to make a conscious effort to use re-usable bags instead of the plastic bags. I do keep in them in the car...I just often forget to take them into the store with me. I'm trying to do a lot better. Honestly, I think the bags should be banned, and we should all be required to re-use bags. I bet if the county/state actually showed constituents the actual cost of requiring re-useable bags versus the cost of disposing of them, I bet it would make a strong argument for changing our habits. Show people how you can save money and pay less taxes, and they'll be all over it.

Kawana Cohen-Hopkins said...

Actually paper bags are better because they can be recycled and they are biodegradable, meaning they naturally recycle themselves into the earth. So yea, paper bags should be the option if you can't being a reusable one.