Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In Those Jeans


I cleaned out my closet the other week and noticed I had a lot of old, unwearable jeans. My first thought was to donate them to the Salvation Army or a Goodwill. But what about the old jeans with paint stains or rips in them? I can't give those away right?!

I did a little research and found out that there is a push for old blue jean recycling! Since blue jeans are 100% cotton, they can be recycled into other items that use cotton as well. Companies like Bonded Logic (http://www.bondedlogic.com/) are recycling old blue jeans into insulation for houses! The new insulation is very environmentally friendly since no chemicals are used to develop the insulation, it takes less energy to produce, and the old jeans are being put to use rather than sent to a landfill. Furthermore, people who use jean insulation can get tax credits since it's an energy efficient technology. YAY!

Brown Tip
Give Me Those Jeans

If you have blue jeans that would like recycled into insulation, send them to:
Fair Indigo Denim Drive
c/o Green Jeans Insulation Inc.
1109 W. Milwaukee St.
Stoughton, WI 53589

3 comments:

rashad said...

I am forwarding this to my lady, who seemingly has enough jeans to last her 3 years...

Anonymous said...

This is awesome....but do they take anything besides jeans?? I have some T-shirts and things that I can't really donate to goodwill for various reasons but I hate to just toss them in the trash. I suppose some could be repurposed into cleaning rags etc but not all of them.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about this theme. Thanx for giving that info.